Home > US Politics > Annoying Electoral Strategies

Annoying Electoral Strategies

I’ve noticed an increasing amount of spam being generated by the American elections and it is beginning to annoy me. Back whenever Bill Richardson was running as a candidate on an open Democratic field, a certain Democratic Party hack decided to drop by our dear own website with this comment:Bill Richardson

I am a proud New Mexican supporting Bill Richardson for President, because I know my governor…when he says he is going to get something done, he gets it done. Governor Richardson has taken our poor state into the technological age and created over 80,000 jobs, has raised the minimum wage, increased teachers salaries, and given us a new commuter rail to alleviate our most congested corridors. As impressive as Richardson’s education policy is, and it is really a fantastic leap forward, his energy policy is just as revolutionary, and Bill Richardson can do it, because he has already done it in New Mexico.

I will raise my children in this beautiful state, confident that they will be able to do the same and have a better life for their future children. With Bill Richardson as president we might all be able to say the same.

From the obvious and nauseating naivety which it demonstrates in its attempt to sound like a talking campaign poster, this comment was made by someone professionally involved with the campaign. Lo and behold, a quick web search of the name of the author and up came this site.

Cara Valente-Compton, the author of the comment, was an employed PR hack of the Richardson campaign and had been at various other sites attempting to incite support for Richardson with her banality.

Now I notice that this type of thing is going on even on YouTube comment sections. Take a look at the following comment in support of Ron Paul. It occurs on a trailer for V for Vendetta, which altogether ironic since that film is attacking the establishment which Ron Paul supports.

There is something wrong with every gorventment![sic] It isn’t like this movie is touching on new ideas… it’s sad it takes a film to wake people up…. a film loosely based on an awesome comic from the 80s! if you want things to change pay attention to who you put in office the only candidate running for office i am behind is ron paul!

I noticed one of these at You Tube on the latest Star Trek trailer too (really looking forward to that by the way). There are similar comments spattered over You Tube, Veoh and Google Video, among others. In the second and third instances I’ve mentioned, the people posting spam-like messages are probably not hacks paid by the campaign. That makes it a little more bearable. Still, having a thousand drones randomly spew out the same guff makes a mockery of freedom of speech.

I’m also paying attention to the developing conspiracy theories that surround the amount of time spent covering Ron Paul’s campaign by the media. Clearly PR firms are earning their money these days because I’ve never seen anything like the results generated if you search something like “Ron Paul’s campaign ignored by media.” The results have this close to the top. Worrying.

Also, I’m getting my hotmail account (which I rarely use for precisely this reason) deluged with Obama spam – from his campaign, messages from him, messages from his wife. Seriously the amount of mass-generated rubbish that political campaigns seem to be putting out as a matter of course during the Presidential elections is disturbing. It’s also irritating.

The internet was once mooted as a way for grassroots campaigns to break through the box of the mainstream media. It doesn’t require much effort to create your own blog and get news out there after all. Even still, the reality is becoming somewhat different. Many people don’t spend long enough on the internet to actually develop knowledge of sites which come up with interesting analysis beyond the mainstream frontiers.

New forms of marketing, like paying people to spam internet nexuses like the Daily Kos (which is where Cara Valente-Compton evidently spent a lot of her time), are beginning to have an adverse effect upon what little freedom of thought the net does actually confer. This worries me, and no answer immediately presents itself. By 2012 and the next Presidential election, the strategies may be even more complex.

Categories: US Politics
  1. February 18, 2008 at 11:00 pm

The answer, David, is simple. Do what you just did. Write about the PR hacks. Expose them.

2. Cara Valente-Compton
    February 19, 2008 at 2:46 am

David, You have it all wrong. At the time I wrote that comment to your blog I was an unpaid blogger, writing about Governor Richardson because I believed that he was the best man for the job.
    Not long after that, Oct 24th, I was offered a position within the campaign, not to do pr, but to help coordinate volunteers. I suspended all blogging and commenting on blogs.
    Please, don’t call me names on your blog. I am not a hack, nor am I naive. I am a pretty savvy person, and do what I do out of love for my children and for the betterment of our nation.
    Sincerely,
    Cara Valente-Compton

3. February 19, 2008 at 10:40 am

Yawn. Seriously, I don’t care about your children. If you have a point to make, make it without attempting emotional blackmail.

4. Cara Valente-Compton
    February 19, 2008 at 5:49 pm

This explains a lot. Assholes like you are out to corrupt and pollute and generally fuck up the world with your cynicism and greed. You are just a spoiled little kid, when you grow up, and I hope that you do, you will probably realize just how crass you sounded when you were young and stupid. Good luck with that.

As for me, I will continue to do what is right.

5. February 19, 2008 at 5:54 pm

Cynicism and greed? Pray tell Cara, what am I greedy for? I’m certainly cynical – I don’t deny that – but when cynicism brings with it the ability to distinguish between meaningless twaddle (such as your comments which I quoted above) and genuine policy, then I think it is positive.

What you engage in I highlighted on the previous article upon which you commented. When I queried Richardson’s policy, where was your substantive response? You didn’t have one. All you had was platitudes – and that is all that you continue to engage in.

6. Cara Valente-Compton
    February 19, 2008 at 8:23 pm

My comments above were not meaningless, they were substantive. Governor Richardson has created over 80,000 new jobs, most of them high paying jobs, in our state. With a state population that just hit 2,000,000 that is a remarkable number, and worthy of praise. In fact, every single thing you quoted me on in your hitpiece on me (again I have to wonder why) was true, from jobs creation to salary increases to commuter rail development. The only falshoods here were the ones alleged against me, David. You claimed that I was a paid pr hack for the campaign, and I nicely wrote you back saying it was not true. You have yet to apologize. Need I remind you that the UK has some pretty toothy libel laws?

7. February 19, 2008 at 8:32 pm

No, you needn’t – but Ms Valente-Compton, I might remind you that I’m an Oxford graduate who numbers among his friends no few lawyers. I would also point out that several of your own US judges have seriously come down on what they call ‘libel tourism’ so be warned.

On your comments, I shall continue to be convinced that they are meaningless until you do the following.

1. Offer any evidence whatsoever to support these figures you have mentioned.
    2. Prove that they were especially due to Richardson’s endeavour and not due to objective economic factors.
    3. Additional support to show that the jobs qualify as high paying and so forth.

In short, you can’t go on making sweeping statements about what Richardson has done without offering some support for it. And beyond that, even if he has done all that you say he has, your nauseating patriotism (on behalf of your state) and consistent attempts to put your children at the centre of everything are still at issue.

Regardless of what you were employed as and when, by the way, I still view you as a PR hack. Paid or unpaid, your ‘debate’ style is to spew forth (as yet) unsubstantiated claims and then run away.

• Oliver Klozov
      June 28, 2011 at 6:09 pm

If you are indeed an Oxford graduate, then that degree is not worth what I thought it was.

• June 30, 2011 at 12:06 pm

And do you actually have an argument to make or did your mother drop you on your head when you were a baby?

8. Jim
    February 19, 2008 at 8:40 pm

Oh, dear. Out come the lawsuit threats. How dare a little person like yourself insult a professional? Didn’t you know you’re supposed to keep your insignificant little nose out of professional politics? Oh, dear.

9. February 19, 2008 at 8:44 pm

Hehe. I know, silly me for having an opinion. Interesting that an American Democrat is willing to use UK courts to get around the extensive freedoms given by the 1st Amendment to the US Constitution. I can see a few Republican blogs being interested in that.