Home > Uncategorized > Fuck you, New Labour

Fuck you, New Labour

To all New Labourites, NUS hacks and toadies of the establishment, where is your anger you craven hypocrites?

(For some reason, following the switch over in hosts, the video won’t embed: watch it here at Strobbyblog: John McDonnell speaks to PCS national conference.

Categories: Uncategorized
  1. May 31, 2009 at 1:02 am

It’s a shame John doesn’t engage with Compass more – a comradely debtate between LRCers and Compassites should be possible – the No Turning Back event has folks from outside Labour, and it’s a shame that John isn’t “in and against” Compass, no?

2. May 31, 2009 at 6:08 am

From John’s point of view, the same thing as holds true for and makes engagement with Labour a priority is not true for Compass. So no, I don’t think it is a shame. Also, I think we’ve already walked the Compass road before; it’s a better branded, slightly less socialist Campaign Group – and we all know how that ends.

3. May 31, 2009 at 5:47 pm

I second that, fuck’em.

4. Robert
    June 1, 2009 at 1:24 pm

So Labour will go out of power and spend the next what forty years fighting to stay in second place. I really think Labours got serious problems and if John made it to number ten tomorrow, who the hell is he going to help him Purnell Miliband.

5. June 1, 2009 at 6:11 pm

Well I don’t know about you, Robert, but I’d queue up to work for free for John McDonnell if he was handed number 10 tomorrow.

6. June 1, 2009 at 6:54 pm

Hmmm… well it seems to me there are a few problems here.

First, if John and yourself want to build broad movements and include other trade unions, then one has to accept people and organisations that may not be so puritanical with regards to policy.

That is the whole point of coalition building – to work with people who may not be in the same axis as you.

I have some frustration with Compass in that they stayed loyal for far too long, but that doesn’t make them the same as others.

So my first problem is that the hard-left constantly call for broad coalitions, without understanding that these require compromise.

Secondly, while I’m a big fan of John McDonnell, if he’s crapping on Alan Johnson and others simply for being loyal (while knowing they didn’t really support the war) then I’m afraid he doesn’t deserve to go far.

An element of politics does involve loyalty. There’s no doubt about it. Of course, it shouldn’t trump immorality and I would have wanted more MPs to rebel – but the main problem there is that the principal opposition to the war was organised by the SWP and Islamist friends.

The secular broad left never built a mass movement against the war that forced pressure on Labour MPs. This is our own fault. In the US, the democrat grassroots who were anti-war repeatedly promoted Obama and criticised Hillary Clinton until both she and John Edwards had to become anti-war. Where was the movement here? Where was the targeting of seats (other than by the Red-Muslim alliance?). So I think that was a failure of strategy.

It’s easy to chuck stones from the outside… but the hard-left is also to blame for letting the SWP lot run away with an agenda they should have captured and built on.

7. June 1, 2009 at 10:02 pm

Sunny, I think there are so many misconceptions inherent to your comment that they require an article to themselves, so I’ll get back to you later in the week in an article, “On Loyalty” or similarly titled.

8. June 1, 2009 at 11:14 pm

Be very afraid you lot, for your info,in last months Private Eye, and I can vouch they are vastly more accurate than our so called national press, is a report about a further more sinister privatisation. These New Labour Scum have formed a PLC to “deal with” postal balloting. They are called OPT2VOTE and have a website full of blairite bullshit spin and nebulous disingenuous crap. I have been trying for years to expose the holes and fraud in blairs postal ballot scam through my own low life MP’s and through the shed loads of new labour placemen in their comfy quango’s. No one will talk about this new company, I think we should know more !

9. Sam
    June 2, 2009 at 1:12 am

Fuck you, New Labour? You’re in the same party as “New Labourites, NUS hacks and toadies of the establishment”, you daft cunt! Your membership fee makes it possible for Labour to get re-elected. Fuck you, David Semple.

10. Rory
    June 2, 2009 at 9:39 am

If you really think David’s membership fee, or anyone else’s for that matter, makes it possible for Labour to get re-elected, then it’s obvious who is the daft cunt here.

11. Sam
    June 3, 2009 at 7:05 am

Hello Rory, Dave’s fellow daft cunt. Labour campaigns at election time, yes? And its money to do so comes from unions, big backers and also members like you and Dave, yes? Are you saying Labour membership is completely inconsequential on the electoral fortune of Labour, yes?

So:

– you clearly have no influence on Labour policy
    – you have no influence on getting Labour re-elected

Do you want a medal for Pathetic and Stupid?

“the left in the Labour Party are unmovable in their belief they should remain members, no matter how humiliated they become. If the next Labour leader was The Joker from Gotham City, and he sprayed the world with deadly laughing gas, the last choking gasp of the Labour left would be “Nonetheless Labour is the traditional party of socialism and I will remain loyal although I urge any survivors to raise this matter at the next constituency meeting”.”

12. Rory
    June 3, 2009 at 9:26 am

My membership fee, or Dave’s, makes very little difference whatsoever. If you think withdrawing my £4 a month, while the party still receives millions from the major trade unions, will make any difference, you’re a daft cunt.

13. Sam
    June 3, 2009 at 12:02 pm

We can argue all day about who’s a daft cunt, Rory (p.s. the answer is you), but you’ve just admitted that your membership of Labour makes no difference. So it’s purely symbolic. As I’ve just said, “So your membership is a completely useless symbolic act that you belong to a party that in government has pissed on everything you believe in?”

Why are you in the Labour party if you are left-wing? It is not left-wing. You are worse than a daft cunt, you are like a victim of domestic abuse who keeps coming back for more.

14. June 3, 2009 at 1:22 pm

Sam,are you a Revo member or something?

Sunny, think you’re way too easy on war-backers here.

Those that continue to stick up for it drive me crazy. People should have resigned at the time, and at the very least I’d expect a U-turn after they were proven to be so dangerously naive.

15. June 3, 2009 at 3:31 pm

Sam you seem to have the capacity for bizarre leaps of logic. What Rory said was that his membership fee makes no difference; he didn’t say his membership made no difference. Whatever you may think, if you’re going to argue, at least try and switch your brain on beforehand. Anything else makes you look dishonest.

Also, Sam, I don’t believe that you have the interests of the Left at heart. I’ve repeatedly emphasized on this blog that irrespective of party affiliation, all activists need to be working hands on campaigns that build momentum towards extra-parliamentary action. Where those activists come together, they can choose political organisations to endorse – but the decision should remain local.

This is my alternative, which works irrespective of who is in Labour and who is out of Labour.

Where is yours? All you’ve said is abandon Labour – but that will not realise the aims of the Left of itself. What’s your second, third, forth and fifty-fourth step?

16. Sam
    June 3, 2009 at 4:32 pm

Can you tell me what difference Rory’s and your membership makes? And what is your second, and third step from where you are in Labour at present?

Where from here to a socialist government, comrade?

My intention is not to preach about what other party or force is the most likely to do something. My point is that membership of Labour is a moral compromise only lizards could stoop to. Your membership of the party basically provides left cover for:

– the Afghanistan war
    – the Iraq war
    – 28 days detention without trial
    – control orders
    – ID cards
    – foundation hospitals
    – tuition top-up fees

Etc etc etc. So can you please tell me what your membership of Labour has achieved? I honestly would like to know how you square being left-wing and also a supporter of the party which in government has done all of these things and more.

17. June 3, 2009 at 4:36 pm

The whole purpose of this blog is to discuss some of those themes. And my second and third steps have been expounded upon at some length throughout. I suggest you go read them, then come back and chat, if that’s what you wish to discuss.

18. June 26, 2009 at 8:22 pm

New Labour has wrecked this country. Time for a big change at the next election, hopefully for one of the smaller parties!!

Jon