Home > Miscellaneous > Sunday reading and something to look forward to

Sunday reading and something to look forward to

I don’t normally do lists of posts or blogs which people should read, outside of the awesome Carnival of Socialism, but I’ve been feeling ridiculously unproductive for the last few days. On the other hand, there’s been some interesting material posted around the blogosphere, and everyone needs all the links and comments they can get.

Before we get to that, however, I’ve spent Sunday compiling my own reading list for the next while; a different kind of Sunday reading, I grant you, but Sunday reading nonetheless. Prizes for spotting the theme running through what I’ve chosen to order from the local library:

Benjamin Farrington, the Faith of Epicurus and Greek Science; Richard Levin and Richard Lewontin, the Dialectical Biologist; James Gleick, Chaos; Nick Herbert, Quantum Reality; Albert Einstein and Leopold Infeld, the Evolution of Physics; Edward Grant, Physical Science in the Middle Ages; Nikolai Bukharin (ed), Science at the Crossroads and G.W.F. Hegel’s Logic.

In a few weeks, readers should begin to notice some of this filter through into the oeuvre offered on the blog. I’m continually reminded that there’s so much to know and nowhere near enough time to learn it, and the history and philosophy of science is one I’ve never mastered outside of the usual tracts on Aristotle and Plato which classicists are expected to write for ungraduate degrees.

On the blogs, for more immediate reading, there’s some good articles demonstrating the ignorance of various parts of the commentariat. Paul Sagar has good stuff on Barbara Ellen, who has written the most patronising and ignorant article ever on the subject of interns who want to be well treated. Meanwhile, Reuben at the Third Estate writes of Tamsin Omond’s political ineptitude in her decision to stand against Glenda Jackson.

There’s an article at Socialist Unity outlining why the Falkland Islands should be part of Argentina regardless of what the locals think, which I think is complete rubbish. The proper orientation of the Left should not be towards attempting to coerce people to pick and choose their national allegiance, but to render to those locals, rather than corporations, the proceeds of the new natural mineral wealth of their islands.

Closer to the usual fare of this blog, Jack Graves has an article up about the problems of the rigidity of party structures that may restrict the rise of party members from outside certain backgrounds (which I think is an epiphenomenon of the key issue of undemocratic structures). Regarding LP structure, Peter Kenyon justifies a media appearance on the subject of Jack Dromey’s gaining a seat in Birmingham – judge for yourself whether you think it hurts Labour more than it helps.

Lenin discusses polls – and Paul is close behind, with part one of a two part series. Raincoat Optimism carries a personal addendum to my piece on Orwell and nationalism. Splintered Sunrise has an excellent account of recent struggles in Greece. Bleeding Heart Show’s Neil Robertson and Left Outside issue a call to arms; musically-orientated politicos of the world, unite!

Next Left has a recent article on the launch by Tory MEP Dan Hannan and co of the British Tea Party, an attempt to copy the anti-tax movement in the USA. I think Next Left is unduly dismissive, and I have said before that the Left is missing a trick in this regard – that we are seen to be generally pro-tax at a time when most people are not awash with money at our peril, but that the structure of tax can be disputed.

Chris Dillow has a must-read article on the feasibility of a post-war Keynesian solution to the current crisis; Laurie Penny seems on good form with a tirade against the misplacing by the media of female agency in the debate on over-sexualisation; lastly River’s Edge from Lancashire has a report about a North-West meeting of the Trade Union and Socialist Coalition electoral group set up by the Socialist Party, which seems to be benefitting by a lot of good will in places like Cambridge, where independent activists have come on board.

And that’s your lot. Hopefully I’ll actually have something interesting to say tomorrow. Even if I don’t, stay tuned; 8th of March is International Women’s Day and in the run-up TCF will be proud to showcase original work by some of our favourite female bloggers, who we think should have a wider audience.

Categories: Miscellaneous
  1. February 28, 2010 at 9:04 pm

I’ve read a few of those books, namely Hegel’s Logic, Bukharin’s crossroads, and I’ve read Lewontin’s It Ain’t Necessarily So – about how genetics must be seen as an equation of the dialectic – so my guess is the link is the dialectic?? I can’t be wrong, no way!!

Cheers for the mention

2. February 28, 2010 at 9:16 pm

The Lord said, asketh and thou shalt receive

And the bloggers did receive.

sweet.

3. February 28, 2010 at 9:18 pm

Carl, what did you think of Crossroads? I’d heard of the famous conference many times but I’d never realised the papers were released.

Paul; ‘course. Happy to help.

4. February 28, 2010 at 10:06 pm

I read this – http://www.marxists.org/archive/bukharin/works/1931/diamat/index.htm – but I haven’t given much of my time, if I’m honest, but in my haste I guessed that there was a dialectical link to your chosen literature, was I right??

5. February 28, 2010 at 10:08 pm

Yes you were right. It’s one of the (various) subjects I’ve been musing on fitting into a handbook for young communist activists.

6. February 28, 2010 at 10:27 pm

Stephen Jay Gould proposed a dialectic equivalent to Darwin’s theory by the name, I’m sure you know, and should add to this handbook, punctuated equilibrium. Also, the book Reason in Revolt by Alan Woods contains a foreword by Eric Lerner called the big bang never happened, noted here (http://www.marxist.com/rircontents.htm) is supposedly a dialectic alternative to the big bang (if you’re going to offer a comprehensive book, you might like to put in some wacky stuff hehe).

7. February 28, 2010 at 10:28 pm

I’ve actually read Reason in Revolt; the only way I’m ever including it is in the “Recommendations for when you run out of firewood” section.

8. February 28, 2010 at 10:40 pm

hahahahahahaha

9. February 28, 2010 at 10:41 pm

it is truly terrible, everyone at the IMT defo knew as well, that’s why it was published by blah publications heh

10. woodlandian23
    March 1, 2010 at 7:22 am

“River’s Edge from Lancashire has a report about a North-West meeting of the Trade Union and Socialist Coalition electoral group set up by the Socialist Party, which seems to be benefitting by a lot of good will in places like Cambridge, where independent activists have come on board.

This is despite worrying reports from Southampton Itchen and some sniping by other groups in Manchester (which may or may not be justified).”

What are the worrying reports about Southampton Itchen?

11. March 1, 2010 at 8:07 am

The usual sort of things that go on when the SWP and the SP want to do opposite things – support an incumbent MP or run a challenger – and despite opportunities to bring on board local activists and a couple of union branches, won’t compromise. I do stress that this is second hand information – Southampton is close enough that I know people there, but far enough that I’m rarely out that direction.

12. woodlandian23
    March 1, 2010 at 8:45 pm

Bloody hell Dave you might know more than me.I thought everything had been agreed.
    I know the people involved from both sides so I will try to provide some clarity.
    There is a Right to Work public meeting coming up so I should find out.