New Year Resolutions
Here are my New Year’s resolutions. 1-9 are within my control, more or less. 10 depends on some other people.
By the end of 2011 I intend/hope to have:
1) Resolved some outstanding intellectual incoherencies around a) the current limits vs. the desirability of social democracy; b) leftwing small statism in the context of the necessary shorter term defence of the welfare state; c) libertarianism vs. using social and economic power to take liberties; d) how the best bits of Modern Monetary theory might be adapted to the socialist cause.
2) Published two books – one about politics and one about cricket;
3) Read the whole Habermas’ Theory of Communicative Action;
4) Set up a social enterprise which picks the bones out of the dismantling of the NHS;
5) Had measurable influence in the third sector world over the roll-out of Social Impact Bonds in the context of the Coalition’s commissioning plans, if they proceed as planned;
6) Become a street pastor;
7) Got back to my fighting weight, done some regular cricket umpiring and and started flute lessons;
8) Written a paper on internal Labour party democracy reform which actually gets read;
9) Completed my tax returns without having to stay up all night to meet the deadline;
10) Been a small part of a big movement which brings down the government.